Sunday, November 4, 2012

An Engagement Story

I don't like to write a lot, it's boring, but here's a story. If only for our own journaling purpose.

One year ago to the day yesterday (or date today) Stephen proposed and I said yes:)

Stephen had been home 2 weeks from his mission (yes, I did mean weeks). I had seen him for the first time on Friday, October 21, which just happend to be the 5 year anniversary from our very first date. We had talked on the phone late Wednesday night, the day he got home. It was a VERY long day for me! It was a five minute conversation, but he ended it by saying "I love you" and I laughed and didn't say it back. Mean, I know.

I came home Friday, and finally saw him Friday night. He drove to my house, but parked a few houses down so my family couldn't sneak. I ran from my front door all the way to him and (as Stephen says) walloped him! And I did, and then I kissed him, big:) Sunday was his talk at church. That night we had a DTR (define the relationship) because I was going back to BYU the next day. I told him I wanted to marry him, and was ready whenever he was. I'm straight-forward. I think it scared him a little, but he acted pretty cool. I think he said he felt the same way... But we decided we would talk more about it over Thanksgiving break when I would be back in AZ
On Sunday - he had been a missionary 5 days ago:)


Over the next two weeks we talked everyday, and tossed around the idea of getting married. He went over and chatted with my parents to let them know what was going on. Not a big deal right?! Two weeks from seeing each other, he came up to Utah to visit me and his siblings. We went on a date to the Roof Restaurant in SLC, overlooking the temple (my temple:) It was our first date in two years. [In a way, Stephen proposed on the first date] Dinner was great, but Stephen was a bit weird. I kept thinking "he is still weird, why isn't he talking to me, why are we eating at such an expensive place?"
Right after dinner - wondering why we had to take this picture...


After dinner we were sitting in front of the temple. Stephen asked "so do you really want to get married here?" I said of course, I always have, very matter-of-factly. And then he got on his knee, asked me to marry him, and started to put a ring on my right finger. I said yes, and then told him the other hand. It was freezing, so we kissed, took a picture, and ran inside.  We called our families, they were all a bit surprised it happened so soon but they all knew it was coming eventually.
after the proposal - Stephen is freezing!

my roommates made a poster by the time we got back to provo and had it hanging outside at our apartment complex "congrats on getting engaged Stephen & Jarelle"


I love the way Stephen did it all. He did not waste time - I said I wanted to marry him, and he made it happen. He wanted to surprise me so he got a small, inexpensive ring. I was surprised then got to personally design my own ring.

Now we are happily married and living ever after:)








5 comments:

  1. Ah....What an adorable story! A movie should be made about this cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute. Love it. I might have a crush on the two of you, as a couple. Can't believe it's been a year already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great proposal! Only cool people get engaged in Salt Lake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story...it always makes me smile. You are both so cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story again. It was fun to remember. I am SO glad you married Stephen. We love having you in our family.

    ReplyDelete